Sunday, July 20, 2008

Carbonite baby...

Was reviewing some of the pictures I took today and noticed that Carbonite had already backed most of them up. I must admit I haven't had to retrieve lost files from this online backup service, but thought I'd let readers of this blog know about it anyway. The files below with green lights under them have been backed up (this info shows up for all files right in Windows Explorer).
Carbonite backs up the fixed drives on your PC for about $50 a year. It's always running in the background and, as far as I can tell, has never adversely impacted performance on my PC. If you have a lot of stuff like I do (about 400 GB to back up), the initial backup can literally take months. However, after that, it automatically detects new files and gets them backed up off-site in pretty short order. They encrypt your backup so I guess it's relatively safe from prying eyes on their side.

Anyway, losing the pictures I've taken over the years is one of my biggest nightmares (having to sit through a Cirque de Soleil show is #1). I back most stuff up to DVD but am usually a few months behind on this task. Even so, if our building goes up in flames, I'd be pretty much screwed as a lot of fine memories would become little more than ash and smoke.

Anyway... hope this helps someone.

No comments: