Monday, July 12, 2010

Orange Crush…

After the Brazil/Côte d'Ivoire game I mentioned on Facebook that it was quite a spectacle for those of us who like soccer and mixed martial arts. I never in a million years thought I’d witness the following (scumbag) move by any World Cup player.dutch football karate Overall, I think the Dutch played with virtually no honor throughout the tournament (including their mass fainting spell against Brazil). However, I still love Amsterdam (and the Netherlands and the Dutch)!

3 comments:

G in Berlin said...

I started off ambivalent between the two (after all with DE out, I had no skin in the game). But NL played such a rough and violent game that I started rooting for Spain around the 15 minute mark. What a nerve wracking game!

grp said...

How about a serious fine or suspension. He could have killed that guy...

G in Berlin said...

There were multiple serios personal fouls, of which that was the most egregious. It was clear that NL out massed and was a head taller on average than Spain and they were extremely physical in their play. My husband says this type of roughness is more acceptable in Europe, but he felt that was clearly a red card offense. The ref (who I thought was great) had clearly stated that he had a standard in this game that was "final" standard: he didn't want to pull a person out "unnecessarily". But the number of yellows and fouls was amazing and allowing this to go was not good.It started with Boatengg injuring Ballack before the series even started. I watched a lot of games this FIFA, and it was really interesting watching the level of roughness.