Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I got wheels...

I finally got my "commuter car". B fell in love with its avant guard design; I fell in love with its sleek lines and awesome horsepower. How does one say "chick magnet" in German?

Not! OK, so it's an econo-box that looks like it should have shriners hanging out of it. Before you mock me, I should mention that gas in Germany is over $6 a gallon. I learned in Redmond that our commuter car should be as simple as possible as it doesn't see much action beyond the drive to work and back. I guess this one will see even less given the great public transportation system in Germany.


Anyway, I bought a 2005 Mitsubishi Colt. I've always had good luck with Japanese cars and I couldn't find anything else that cheap at a dealership that wasn't older than Robert (who turned 7 in January). It appears that in Germany an independent inspection is done of a car when you buy it from a dealership. I'm hoping this will help prevent my pouring hard-earned Euros into a lemon.

I'm thinking about going to work a couple of times a week on the Strassebahn (tram) once we move to Kirchheim. Seems like a reasonable way to be somewhat "green" (and to avoid paying for Exxon executives' summer homes). By the way, Exxon is called Esso here.

So if you happen to be on a German autobahn and get stuck behind a small, slow Japanese car that's dark gray, be sure to wave as you fly past.

1 comment:

christina said...

When we move to Stuttgart in 4 months I'm hoping I can get by without a car. This will be a first for me, I've had a car since I was 16. But it seems the public transportation is so good there that it is worth a try. We will have one car, but I'm assuming my Husband will use that to go to work. The kids will take a bus to school and well I can just walk or catch a bus or something.
I can't wait to see how it's all going to work out. How long will it be before I beg for a car...ha,ha,ha.