Saturday, July 28, 2007

Back to Baden-Baden

We got off to a slow start today. First of all, I didn't get out of bed until 11:00 or so -- an extremely rare occurrence. B was already up but wasn't feeling well. By noon, I had decided to take the girls (Marina and friends) and the kids to Baden-Baden. The idea was to spend the afternoon there and then leave the girls in Mannheim where Pink will give a free concert tonight. As usual, the kids were mesmerized by a movie during the 45 minute trip South of Heidelberg.

As soon as we arrived in Baden-Baden it started to rain. We decided to have lunch at a pizzeria and wait the weather out. Pizzeria Roma has the best pizza I've had since I've been in Germany: thin crust with great ingredients. We ordered three pizzas for everyone but Emily, who is on a spaghetti kick.Those with an eagle eye for fashion will notice the license Emily took before we left the house when I told her to put on her shoes. It was only when she descended from the mini-bus in Baden-Baden that I noticed she had donned a pair of designer Disney plastic pumps normally reserved for dress-up in the playhouse. I can't imagine that those who know Emily are any more surprised than I was. To her credit, she pulled the look off, bruised shins notwithstanding. By the time lunch was over, the sun was shining. We walked around in this beautiful city a bit until we passed the playground near the river.Unfortunately, within 20 minutes or so we were fleeing from a torrential downpour. After nursing a Coke in a restaurant for about 20 minutes, we decided to hightail it home once the rain let up a bit. After a few wrong turns here and there, I got the girls close to the concert in Mannheim. As far as I can tell, they loved Baden-Baden.

Finally, while I've always though Emily was photogenic, there's something about Baden-Baden that brings out her "good side". The picture above with the flowers in her hair is really something else in high resolution. The picture below is a wonder as well.

No comments: