Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Fun in Freiburg and a taste of Trigger...

Last weekend got off to a great start with my birthday dinner. As my sister was in town, I was treated to a fine Tex-Mex meal from which I still haven't fully recovered (I ate demasiado).

On Saturday, we headed to the old part of Heidelberg where a fall festival was kicking into gear. The whole family (including Sandra and my sister) walked down the Hauptstrasse, or main drag, perusing the wares being sold left and right. Robert, Emily and I were not particularly impressed so we headed back to the ranch, leaving B, Sandra, my sister and Sophia to fight the ever-swelling crowd. By the time they left in the late afternoon, the place was absolutely packed, making forward progress tough going. My understanding is that by midnight over 300,000 people had crammed into the Altstadt. On Saturday night we took my sister to Sardegna, a great Italian restaurant in our neighborhood (faithful readers of this blog have read about it many times before). This time I finally ordered the horse steak that had piqued my curiosity on previous visits. While I'm sure the owner of this fine establishment wouldn't deceive me, the steak tasted so much like beef it made me wonder. It might be my imagination, but I found that horse steak has a slightly different texture than beef. Anyway, next time I'm thinking about ordering the dolphin cutlets. Just kidding.

On Sunday, we finally went to a city we hadn't been before: Freiburg. This city lies about an hour and half South of us in the Black Forest. My parents had been there during their tour a couple of weeks earlier. The old part of the city is quaint but I wasn't blown away. While it's probably not on my short list of "must visit" cities, many people have told me that Freiburg is a great place to live, with plenty to do inside and outside the city.

1 comment:

Ted said...

Greg

Been goofing around with HDR a lot lately and having fun. We just got back from a week of vacation with relatives from Brazil. We were in Victoria on Vancouver Island and Vancouver. I like the devil in that one portrait for some strange reason. With all the church photos, I was wondering if you were converting to Catholicism?

The kids look like they are sprouting pretty fast.

Will shoot you an email with more
details.

Abracao

Ted