Friday, October 26, 2007

Long time, no blog…

Since I last blogged a couple of weeks ago, Emily broke her arm and B has returned from Brazil. First, the gory details on Emily’s (inevitable?) calamity. She fell from the monkey bars at the park last Thursday and broke her left arm in (of course) a really strange way. Given her lack of anything remotely resembling fear since birth, my only surprise is that it's taken her six years to do it. The doctors put it in a sling hoping her humorous (the big bone in the upper arm) would align on its own without the aid of surgery. All indications are that it has. She’ll get another X-ray on Monday.

B had a great time in Brazil. Her best friend Izabella’s wedding was beautiful and tons of fun for about 400 people. B had a blast helping prepare the festivities and the bride. Iza and her husband Renato came in to Heidelberg on Tuesday and are now off touring France. They’ll be back in a couple of weeks to spend a good stretch of time with us in Heidelberg. Iza is Sophia’s godmother so both are thrilled to be spending time together.

Speaking of Sophia, make that Sofia, I’m in Bulgaria. Yesterday we had an offsite meeting and today I’m in the Sofia office meeting the team here. I now have someone on my team from this fine city. I took her to the castle in Heidelberg last week and got off a few nice shots. This one is my favorite.
The offsite meeting was at a ski lodge in the mountains around Sofia. The view was truly world class. Most of the day we were between layers of clouds, the lower one obscuring most of the view of Sofia. The leaves are turning which made for an unbelievable view. The hotel was also really nice (and we got some work done too).

Although I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, the view reminded me a bit of the city in the clouds in the original movie. The view from the meeting room was quite distracting. I feel really lucky to have had the opportunity to come here (the first of many, I'm sure). I’m staying here tonight (Friday, Oct. 26) so I can do some site seeing tonight and tomorrow. Not sure what we'll do tonight, but my sixth sense tells me it will involve a lot of rakia. Being someone who highly values cultural diversity, I did my best to get acquainted with the "fire water of the Balkans" last night. I seem to have survived it. I think the plan is to go back up into the mountains to a monastery tomorrow. Fret not: plenty of pictures will follow.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Gorgeous photos! Please keep them -- and your wonderful descriptions -- coming! And gute besserung with Sophia's arm!

Carol