Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Weihnachtsmarkt...

This is (of course) the time of year that these street, or "Christmas markets", start opening up around Germany. We went to the one in the old part of Heidelberg (Altstadt) on Saturday and in Speyer on Sunday. The weather wasn't too cold so it was a good excuse to walk around and get our jingle on.
The kids managed to get pictures with Santa at both. BTW, did you know that in Germany it's baby Jesus who delivers gifts? If I understand correctly, Santa jobs is to bring a few chocolates, and not even on Christmas day.
Both markets had rides for the kids, tons of readily comestible pork products and Glüwein, a Wassail-like concoction that goes down quite nicely when there's a nip in the air. As I was the designated driver, I took it easy. I shutter to think what a Glüwein hangover must be like.

Anyway, one more week of hard labor and I'm off for a week or two. Also just found out I'll be headed to the States the first week of February or so. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Robert Prickril said...

dad ii love you