Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Love'n Turkey...

All is still going well in Side, Turkey. We’re dividing our days between the pool and beach and enjoying the shows at night. I’ve never been particularly fond of cruise ship-grade entertainment, but given that the performers are also part of the “animation” team (both child and adult), it could be much worse. I suffered through an aging entertainer doing a Satchmo immitation (with a strong Turkish accent) at the “Gala” dinner on Saturday; I’m still a wreck.

On Sunday night, a clown performed for the kids in the amphitheater. I never thought I’d write these words, but the clown show was pretty good. The highlight was a balancing act he did on metal planks and cylinders. He had a couple of dads come up from the audience to give it a shot. Definitely a recipe for disaster and one of these poor “volunteers” almost did a face dive into the stage. Gotta love a clown with a dark sense of humor.
On Monday, Robert and I went parasailing. I’d done this before in Cancun. Amazingly, Robert showed absolutely no fear. That kid is not easy to figure out.
I was again amazed at what a mellow experience it is. I might do it again with Emily later in the week.
Ever testing my wife’s patience, I’ve taken a few pictures here and there. Enjoy. Finally, I happened upon an extremely rare (almost mythical) Siamese banana (conjoined banana for the politically correct) at lunch on Monday. I shutter to think of the ominous events its finding portends. Some cursory research on the internet revealed that Cortez used such a banana to trick the Incas into showing him the source of the Nile (source: whackipedia.com). I will endeavor to use its awesome power wisely.

No comments: