Sunday, March 01, 2009

It's a long way to Heidelberg...

from Walldorf anyway. Today the kids and B had a full schedule so I decided to go walking near the Neckar. I figured I would take public transportation as I was in no hurry, hate to drive and hate even more finding a place to park. Turns out you should know something about public transportation before you take it. Who knew?
For those that aren't aware, virtually the entire country of Germany shuts down every Sunday. Restaurants and bars are open, but not much else. Public transportation like buses and streetcars also run far less often. I can drive from Walldorf to Heidelberg in about 15 minutes. Today, it took me an hour an a half to get there, most of the time spent waiting for a stupid bus/Strassenbahn (streetcar) to appear.Anyway, today was the first day I can remember that was warm enough to not require a jacket (in the sun at least). Throngs of folks seemed to be out enjoying it. I took a few pics, but nothing spectacular. BTW, this is the first time I've ever gone to the Altstadt and not had a beer. I've been working out lately and the lack of oxygen I suffer from while begging god to live while on the eliptical seems to be causing atrophy to the beer drinking center in my brain.

By the way, today was the first time I noticed that there are marks on the bridge showing the level of the Neckar during different floods (I've only been at the same spot a thousand times). Looks like 1784 was a whopper. That line seems way higher than the level of the Haupstrasse (main street) today. Wanted to show a close up of that line, but every once in a while a picture gets haunted and Blogger shows it with the wrong orientation. Between that and the random white space inserted into posts, blogging elsewhere is looking better all the time...

1 comment:

Kato said...

Yep, the water went up to the city hall and the Church of the Holy Spirit in 1784. And the bridge was destroyed back then, rebuilt on the old pillars in 1786.
The floods rose to the Hauptstraße again in 1824.

Pictures of the highest floods in recent times, 1993, can be found here.