Monday, December 28, 2009

The sacrifices we make for our kids…

I guess as a parent you’re supposed to take the sacrifices you make for your kids in stride or even pride yourself on them. I’m not that magnanimous…

Today I sat through a few hours of full-on torture in Wiesloch. It’s the holiday season, which means it’s Nutcracker time. Normally, I successfully duck this engagement. This year, B caught me in a moment of weakness when buying the tickets and I acquiesced. I figured it would send the right message to the kids and might even be a bonding experience. What the hell was I thinking?

The venue, the Palatin, was ok, although most high schools in the US have better theaters. The seats are almost comical, reminding me of a school cafeteria.IMG_4677 (1024x768)IMG_4682 (768x1024)I know it’s not cool to say stuff like this, but I HATE BALLET! I realize it’s artistic, requiring lots of skill and years of dedication and training, but so does juggling chainsaws, and I have absolutely no interest in watching that for two and a half hours.  IMG_4687 (1024x768) IMG_4701 (1024x768)I actually had a minor medical crisis during the intermission (probably psychosomatic), but apparently not even stigmata is a valid excuse to skip out of a family ballet outing as far as the Mrs. is concerned. What can I say? I tried.

Anyway, the kids seemed to enjoy it and I guess I begrudgingly take some satisfaction in that. Consider this official notice to my lovely wife and anyone else who reads this blog: I’M NEVER GOING TO THE BALLET AGAIN (unless I can get a bargain rate ballet company to do Swan Lake at my funeral).IMG_4660 (768x1024)IMG_4647 (768x1024)IMG_4648 (768x1024)On a lighter note, one of Emily’s best friends was there and had tickets right beside us (literally no seats in between). Funny coincidence.IMG_4674 (1024x768)IMG_4699 (1024x768)Finally, all that frou-frou dancing inspired Emily and Sophia (a little) to go up on the stage (long after the production had ended) and finally provide some entertainment this dad can get behind.

No comments: