Saturday, December 19, 2009

Taking it slow…

After almost 3 years in Germany, we finally bought a slow cooker. We used our 110V version a lot back in Seattle during the winter, but it’s pretty much useless here (we need a voltage converter the size of a Mini Cooper to power it). We haven’t found a better way to make so much good food with so little effort. Just thinking about the smell of pot roast is making my mouth water.

Germans seem to be proud of this apparatus as it cost about 3 times as much as it would have in the States. Not sure what’s up with that. I also should have paid more attention when ordering it as I’m not sure we need all of its 6 liters.IMG_6592 (1024x683)On a completely unrelated note, one of my household duties is making sure we don’t run out of Coke (a real crisis for Aspartame-dependent people like us). It’s interesting to note that in Germany you pay a deposit on plastic bottles, which means you have to lug them to the store every once in a while to get your 15 cents back. I usually by 3 cases at a time to minimize traffic to our local SBK. I’ve gotten a bit lazy since we got back from Brazil and have simply been buying a case when we need it. When I finally decided to make a “deposit run”, we had 9 cases of empty Coke bottles (and a case of empty Hefe bottles). I turned quite a few heads at the supermarket as it seems like Germans go to the store to buy ingredients for each meal. Anyway, in these economically volatile times, perhaps Coke bottles are a reasonable alternative to banks.IMG_6599 (683x1024)

No comments: