Sunday, September 09, 2007

Back from the Big Apple...

On Tuesday afternoon I flew to NYC for a couple of meetings on Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday morning, I was back. Luckily I got to fly business class so I'm not a total zombie although these trips can sure take it out of you. While there I had very little time to do anything non-work-related, but did manage to take a few pictures (some of which I haven't had time to clean up).
I'm not sure why, but with every job I've ever had the offices in the other locations seem to be much nicer. Why do I always have to work on my projects in the projects?
On Saturday, they closed our street for some kind of festival (we never seem to figure out the occasion). They even blocked the last couple of stops of the Strassenbahn (headed South). We walked around for a while and had lunch in front of a butcher shop, a most popular place. The food was (of course) great.
The kids had a blast on the elastic jumping apparatus (I have no idea what it's called). There also enjoyed some simpler rides.
Last night we took it easy. I was still recovering jet lag and B was tired too. BTW, Monday school starts for Robert. Stay tuned for details on this developing story.

Finally, I had some time on Saturday to clean up some of the pictures I took last weekend. Hope you enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The festival is the Kirchheimer Kerwe. Lasts until monday.
The Kerwe festivals all happen sometime during summer and fall, and pretty much all (former) villages have one. The one in Rohrbach was last weekend, for example.

Watch out for the vastly biggest stuff in the next two months:

- Heidelberger Herbst, September 29th, in the Altstadt. If you don't like masses of people, don't go near it on that day (usually over 150k+ ppl attend). Would probably be fun for the kids though (and there's always plenty to eat).

- Mannheim's 400-year anniversary celebrations. Has already gone on the entire year, but they're having some bigger stuff (some kinda parade thing) on September 21st/22nd.

- A bit less for the kids, the 56th (annual) International Film Festival Heidelberg/Mannheim, October 12th to 21st. Premiering some 40 arthouse newcomer feature films every year.

grp said...

Thanks for the head(s) up anonymous!