Sunday, March 09, 2008

No big news...

but plenty of little updates. Last Monday we had dinner at
Cabaña in Heidelberg. We'd had dinner there before and liked it. We went back because a friend told us that they have childcare during dinner hours and all you can eat ribs and wings on Mondays. B is a veritable rib addict from way back.

As luck would have it, the babysitter called in sick that evening. We stayed anyway and ate a couple of plates of decent ribs and remarkably hot chicken wings. The place reminds me of an ever so slightly upscale US chain. The service is decent and I'm guessing the patio is an E ticket in the Spring. We're not big on fish, the place's specialty.

Lately the kids have been obsessed with lobster thanks to the
Mr. Bean movie. Everywhere we go (McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Gyro joint), they ask if they can order it! They could hardly contain themselves when the table next to us ordered these colorful crustaceans. The folks at this table found the kids' dropped jaws almost as funny as we did and let them inspect this unusual dish to sate their curiosity. I'm sure they thought we were complete hillbillies!

On Thursday, we had a critical meeting with the CEO of our company. All indications are that it went swimmingly. Now back to my day job. I also found out I may be going to Orlando the first week of May. Guess worse things could happen. Germany has taught me to appreciate good shopping opportunities.

On Friday, I got home early so B could take Emily to see Swan Lake in Mannheim. Although they were underwhelmed with the venue (the
Rosengarten), Emily absolutely loved the performance. She is truly graceful so it will be interesting to see if she pursues ballet beyond the low key classes she currently takes. I stayed at the ranch with Robert and Sophia. We had dinner at Mr. Pepporoni, a little pizzeria and döner place down the street. Yesterday, we went to the the Spring fair here in lovely Kirchheim. We got there a bit early, but a couple of the rides were open. The kids wore themselves out on the bungee trampoline. Emily managed the elusive double-flip within a few minutes. We then had some wurst and headed back to the ranch.
Below, you can see one of the many benefits derived from insisting on Shaolin monks as babysitters during Robert's formative years. Be the bungee Robert. Today (Sunday), Emily participated in a parade that started at her school and ended at the fair, complete with a couple marching bands. I tagged along, taking pictures like I was getting paid for it (in rapid succession and with purpose). Spring has almost sprung here so it was a really nice day. I'm assuming that by April we'll be in the clear. I'm hoping Spring here is as nice (virtually perfect) as it was last year.

Finally, during an off-site meeting in Darmstadt this week, I left my camera backpack in a meeting room overnight. Someone stole it (it appears). I'll buy another one if I go to the States in May but, until then, you'll be seeing pictures taken with our point-and-shoot.

By the way, if anyone from the German government is reading this and is appauled that such an atrocity could happen within your borders, it was a Canon Rebel XT. This time I think I want a black one.

No comments: