Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Heidelberg vacation: Day 3

Day three of our "hometown" vacation got off to a lazy start. At about 11:00, we decided we would go pick up a package and then head to a pool in Schwetzingen, a wonderful city about 10 minutes from our apartment. We decided to have lunch at a brewery/restaurant that I love, Zum Ritter. This Monday was pretty hot by Heidelberg standards, around 34 C.

As usual, Schwetzingen was beautiful. Last time I was there the main bell tower was shrowded in scaffolding; as you can see below, it has since been removed.
The food at Zum Ritter is top notch. However, it is their perfect Hefeweitzen (brewed on the premises) that keeps me going back.
The kids chowed down on noodles and pizza, driving us crazy while we tried to finish our lunch. They were ancy to get to the pool.
After lunch, we went to Bellamar, a pool complex I had only been to in the winter. In summer, the place is crawling with folks, most of them with kids in tow. Our kids had a great time as did I. Going down the big tubular slide with Sophia was a highlight. All was going well until we decided to leave and Emily disappeared. For whatever reason, she felt compelled to snag a few extra ray tones before heading out. As she is wont to do, B freaked out. We had them make an announcement over the intercom and just as we began to get really worried, Emily showed up out of nowhere.

That night, we decided to take the whole brood to one of our favorite restaurants, Da Vinci. All things considered, the kids behaved themselves well. If you're in the Heidelberg area, I highly recommend this place.After we left Da Vinci, I had B drop me off at a Strassenbahn stop so I could go to downtown Heidelberg and take some pictures. By the time I got there, it was pretty windy so I quickly lost all motivation to take long exposures and just had a beer and smoked a cigar (my first cigar in months). I did take one shot of a small lighted fountain that is mildly interesting.
Finally, earlier in this post I mentioned picking up a package. My Uncle Alan and his wife Donna send a huge box of stuff for the kids a couple of times a year. They essentially stuff a huge cardboard box with a load of toys, books and other stuff that kids absolutely go nuts for. I'll post pictures of the booty in the next few days.

No comments: