Friday, August 10, 2007

Heidelberg Vacation: Day 5

On day 5, the bad weather continued. I'm not complaining as a bad weather day on vacation is much better than one spent working. We didn't do much during the morning, finally heading out to have lunch at Mandy's around 14:00. I've written about Mandy's before -- it's an old railroad car that's been converted into an American-style diner. It's usually packed with Americans chowing down on great hamburgers. Our kids usually pound down a few pancakes. I highly recommend the "Downunder", an enormous hamburger that leaves your blood feeling like jello. Not sure how many folks have had myocardial infarctions while consuming one of these, but I imagine it happens at least once a week.

Later that night, my blood thinning to unacceptable levels, we headed to Mannheim to Brasil Tropical for churrasco. B is on a low carb diet (and has been since birth!) so the quantity of meat consumed was astounding and not a little embarrassing. This time, there were a few other couples (all German) enjoying this all-you-eat meat-athon.

Sensing that B was inebriated with saturated fat, I asked her if we could stop by Mannheim's famous water tower so I could take some long exposures. Unfortunately, I got there right as the fountains were turned off. I still got some impressive images (if I do say so myself). I'll go back a bit earlier in the next few days to catch the splendor of the fountains (although I'm almost glad they were turned off, the lights reflecting off the still water is beautiful).
Although you can't see them in these low-res images, stars actually appear through the clouds during long exposures. Most cool.

No comments: