Thursday, August 09, 2007

Heidelberg vacation: Day 4

The fourth day of our "in-town" vacation saw the weather change radically. The rain started in the morning and it stayed drizzly (word?) all day. In the morning, I went to downtown Walldorf for my German lesson while B tried to see if we can get our nanny a visa to come back this year. The kids went to an indoor play park called JumpInn with super babysitter Johanna (who keeps them in line speaking German).

After my lesson, I headed solo to Ikea to buy a chair for our desk. My butt is comfortably parked in it as I write this.

After we picked the kids up, we went to the Rhine-Neckar Zentrum, a big mall in Viernheim. The girls stocked up on shoes while Robert and I tried to kill time. We decided to have lunch at a little Italian place called Al Forno. This place has incredible pizza and carpaccio! Definitely worth a try if you find yourself in the neighborhood.

That night, the Mrs. and I went to a really great restaurant a friend had recommended:
Cabaña. This Latin-themed fish and steak place is one of the most attractive restaurants I've seen in Germany. It has great atmosphere with a wide variety of food and drink. We had tapas followed by mediocre dishes (my impression is we ordered poorly). At the suggestion of B, I ordered paella, which was a bit fishier than I like. She had grilled Dourade, only one side of which as really good (it's served whole, head and all). Although the food didn't live up to the rest of the experience, I'll go back so that we can a.) sit on the patio (it was raining) b.) order other dishes that looked great as they were whisked by to other tables c.) smoke a nice stogie in the cigar bar.

6 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

Which ikea chair did you get?

grp said...

It's called Karston (I think). It was about 60 Euros I believe. It was more comfortable than the more expensive ones I "tested".

essie said...

Apparently, we brought the yikes change in weather...SORRY! We left Virginia on Wednesday (record heat, 102) and arrived in Heidelberg only to meet a 50 degree change of temp!

Hoping the weekend weather is better for us all! Your vacation so far sounds fantastic-we can't wait to try some of your local suggestions.

Anonymous said...

c_n_heidelberg: it's called Karsten.

grpniteroi: would you mind showing us a picture and giving us a "sitting comfort report" now that you've been using it for a while? Is it fabric or vinyl?

grp said...

Hey Essie -- welcome to this side of the pond!

grp said...

The chair is really, really comfortable. It's got a cloth seat cushion. The back is some kind of leather knockoff. I recommend it. Another plus is it has no armrests (so I can sit in it and play guitar).