Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A fall Sunday in Berlin…

I got up fairly early on Sunday morning and hit the streets. I expected some fog followed by a sunny day. Well, the sunny day didn’t materialize but I still spent and amazing day in this amazing city. I first walked around the area within a couple of kilometers of my hotel. The morning was cool and peaceful.
I then headed back to the hotel, watched some TV and rested before heading back out to see the area around the Brandenburg Gate.
After walking around the Gate a bit and taking some shots of the parliament building (Reichstag), I walked through the Tiergarten, a massive urban park, to the Siegessäule, a famous tower with a beautiful statue on top. On a deck a the top of the base, there are beautiful mosaics encircling the tower.I can assure you that the tower seems infinitely taller when you’re ascending on the inside than when you’re looking at it from the outside. Even though the weather wasn’t great, the view is amazing and worth the trip.There’s a subway stop about a 30 second walk from my hotel, the Art’otel. The stop within a few minute’s walk of the Brandenburg Gate is just a few stops from here. The event we’re attending is way on the other side of town, about 30 minutes by subway. I really like this mode of transportation.

2 comments:

G in Berlin said...

I don't know how long you will be here, but Saturday is the city illumination and it should be spectacular.
Love your photos.

grp said...

Thanks for the heads-up! Had to leave on Thursday, but can't wait to go back. What a great city!