Sunday, January 25, 2009

I’ve seen highway signs for Bruchsal since we came to this region of Germany but never made it a priority to go there. With B’s parents here a couple of weeks ago, I decided I wanted to see at least one city I hadn’t been to.

We didn’t see too much of the city because it was still freezing cold. The schloss (palace) there seems really nice though. I’m looking forward to taking the whole family in the Spring.

bruchsal schloss 1813 2

bruchsal schloss dragon_1827

Here’s a shot from the back…

bruchsal schloss 1855 2

Since we weren’t sure what else to do in Bruchsal, I took them to Bad Wimpfin. I still highly recommend Lukulos am Blauen Turm, the Greek restaurant right behind the tower. The view from the terrace out back is spectacular (in any season I think).

tower_1909 2

view from restaurant 1916 2

1 comment:

Kato said...

Bruchsal is sorta... a 50,000 ppl small city with nothing to do.

Seriously. I was stationed up on the hill there for a year, we always went to Heidelberg or Karlsruhe for a night on the town.

Oh, it's notable for the high-security prison located there though. Very classic architecture, 1840s, similar style to British prisons of the same time. For what it's worth.