Monday, January 05, 2009

Capitale de Noël…

As we’ve done countless (literally) other times, we took our current guests, B’s Mom and Dad, to Strasbourg, France. We planned to leave about 11:00 on Sunday but my skills at coercing this band of inveterate dawdlers into some semblance of punctuality failed miserably: We left at about 1:30.
We made great time on the way there, arriving in about an hour. After parking the van, we began walking around near the cathedral in subzero temperatures. The first time we went to this incredible city it was also cold, so we’ve made sure to avoid it in the winter ever since; our mistake. Unbeknownst to us, Strasbourgh is the “Christmas Capital”. We’re not sure of the scope of this assertion; it could refer to Alçase, France, Europe or the world, but there was definitely a lot of Christmas cheer still in the air. Much to our chagrin, we didn’t make it for the Christmas market there. We won’t make this mistake next year.
The best part of the trip for me was that we stayed after dark, something we’ve never done before. In compensation for the frostbite in my nether regions, I took some great night exposures (in my opinion). My Mother-in-law had already been; my Father-in-law, like us, is now in love with this city. If you haven’t seen Strasbourg at night, you haven’t seen Strasbourg.
On the way back home, we stopped at Glashaus in Bad Schönborn for mussels. I still very, very highly recommend this place. For my money, it’s the restaurant with the best vibe in the Heidelberg area.

1 comment:

Sknij said...

Le plus beau marché de Noël de France :)