Sunday, June 21, 2009

Do'n time in the UK...

Agreed to do some customer presentations in Heathrow (near the well-known London airport) so was sentenced to a couple of days in the Conrad Hilton Minimum Security Facility (Heathrow Hilton), many miles from much of anything (except airport)! Since we had meetings all day and events at night, it wasn’t all that bad. Wolverine made the trip as well so we got to engage in one of our favorite past times: drinking expensive beer in the creepy ambiance of a hotel bar. Friday found me looking forward to a couple of days of R&R in London itself.

That afternoon I jumped on the Tube (London Underground) with a bit of trepidation. London has at least 10 underground lines and on paper it is daunting for the novice. However, the London Underground turned out to be extremely convenient and very easy to use. I arrived at Victoria Station near my hotel in less than an hour. Not sure how much it cost as I bought an Oyster card and charged it up with £20. I was all over that city for two days but the card still had a few pounds left on it when I turned it in (you pay a £3 deposit).tubemap My hotel, The Windermere, was about a 5 minute walk from Victoria Station. I found it without too much trouble and then checked into the smallest hotel room I’ve ever seen.Copy of london hotel room 69956 (1024x838) Since I was solo, I could have cared less. The rate was £99 a night (a steal in London) and it included breakfast. For folks staying in London a day or two, I can give the place a lukewarm recommendation. It was in a nice neighborhood and the staff and facilities were ok.

More posts on a great trip forthcoming…

No comments: