Saturday, August 01, 2009

The enigma of German bedding…

I don’t think I’ve ranted here about German bedding yet. For some reasons, Germans sleep on a bed with a fitted sheet and a blanket/comforter-like thang that I’ve never seen anywhere else. That’s it. no top sheet, no normal blanket. As far as I can tell, it doesn’t change in the summer.

See below the fully made bed at my hotel. On the plus side (for the hotel), I imagine it took the staff no more than 30 seconds to tidy it up. On the down side, it’s just plain weird!IMG_8680 (2) (1024x683)

4 comments:

C N Heidelberg said...

I love that the beds are so easy to make! I do miss sleeping under just a sheet in the summer, though.

grp said...

I predict the sheet will take off in Germany some day...

Benjamin Notheis said...

Now try to imagine how I felt when I was in the US for the first time. I just wanted to go to bed, but all I found was a huge soft thing that resembled a sponge rather than a mattress and hundreds and hundreds of blankets and sheets. What were these all supposed to be good for?
I tossed them off the bed and left them lying on the floor, only to find my bed nicely wrapped up like a present the next day again.

Christine said...

When growing up we call the "thang" a Feather Bed, and it is covered in a cover that Americans call a Duvet cover. Most Feather beds from the ole days were goose or down feathers tightly sealed in what you call poplin material that has a blend of wax in it so that the feathers don't push through,almost a canvas feel to it. I don't think they make them like that anymore or at least I haven't found any.Any how, Feather Beds are so warm you don't have to have any heat on just like the farmers back in the day. Hope that helps!