Sunday, August 02, 2009

Got horse milk?

A little video of the Mongolian treat I enjoyed this afternoon. My camcorder records in a high definition format that is a pain to work with, so some strange things happen. Hope you enjoy anyway. At about 35 seconds in, you can really hear the guy in green singing with his throat. There’s a high pitched melody that I believe is the guy in white (with the Elvis glasses) whistling. Very cool.

I’m not sure why, but I’m a little obsessed with Mongolia. I watch the National Geographic channel constantly and have seen many shows on this wonderful country. Unfortunately, all this time invested in watching educational programming has made me no smarter.

Among the impressive facts I did retain:

  • Mongolians are some of the best horsemen in the world.
  • Mongolian’s drink horse milk. Who even knew you could milk a horse? Makes sense, but not something that ever crossed my mind.
  • Mongolians have a strong tradition of wrestling. Perhaps they use these skills to subdue the horses they have to milk.
  • Some Mongolians don’t like Scotch. I saw a show in which a proud Englishman presented his Mongolian hosts with Scotch, which they all but spit out in disgust. I can totally relate. Apparently, they prefer vodka (a taste acquired when Soviet influence was greater).

No comments: