Thursday, May 01, 2008

Springish...

Today is the
May Day celebration in most of the world except for the country that gave this tribute to workers its birth, the United States. I was definitely needing some down time so I welcome this 3 and half day weekend (I fly to Orlando on Sunday). The weather essentially cooperated, but with low temperatures in the shade, some random showers and lots of clouds, it didn't exactly put itself out.
I got up and futzed around with the kids, eventually deciding that we'd have a picnic while B took care of some errands. After many false starts, we finally headed out at around 11:00 so the kids could play at the park and enjoy the reasonable weather. Sophia seems to be developing a refined fashion sense. She went into her room by herself and couldn't have come out with a more appropriate (or cute) ensemble.
Later in the afternoon, B got back and I headed out with Robert on our bikes. He's getting the knack of street riding quite nicely, but can't take more than an hour. I therefore headed out on my own. There's a statue of Jesus not far from the autobahn exit that I've always been curious to see up close. I think these things are pretty common in Germany. This one isn't particularly accessible by car so I thought I'd make the 20 minute bike trip out to see it.
On the way, the sun, clouds and burgeoning fields made for some better than average scenery. I've always wanted to take pictures near a field of a bright yellow crop that seems to be cultivated all over this region. Must admit I'm not sure what it is. {I should have said I have no idea what it is! Benny informs me it's rapeseed).
The kids really liked the macro shots of the bees. Me too. Finally, Sophia seems to have inherited her mother's sweet tooth. Miraculously, she cleaned out most of a jar of
Nutella without sullying anything but herself. I still wonder if any of it made it inside her. By the way, she seems to have inherited my iron constitution and indefatigable pancreas as she didn't go into a sugar coma.

2 comments:

Benjamin Notheis said...

The yellow crop is rapeseed and called Raps in German. It's indeed cultivated very extensively in this region.

Kato said...

well, actually it's mostly cultivated west of the Rhine in this region.
the east is quite well-known for huge tobacco fields though.